Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Toil"etries

My quest: Toiletries & Cleaning Products

I mentioned not wanting to be an "ugly" American, but I certainly don't want to be a "dirty" American.

I do a lot of Target shopping and have found a lot of their "up & up" products are made in China. Today I needed to re-stock on a lot of toiletry & cleaning products so I set out on what I thought would be a difficult task. It was not....


Any compromises? Well, yes, I had to buy a product I said I would never buy since the horrible ads they had in the 80's (yes advertising works, and I put the "adverse" in advertising). Actually 3 items...

1. Crest, only because I was a life long user of Colgate
2. Snuggle fabric softener (is it wrong that I want that little cuddly bear to suffocate in the dryer?)
3. Charmin (I'll squeeze it if I damn well please Mr. Whipple)

My toilet paper of choice is Scott, but the packaging says made in the U.S.A. with domestic & "imported" products. Target's "Up & Up" proved to be, well, on the Up & Up - or do they just not get so technical?

My favorite buy was the Old Dutch cleanser (not sure where Comet is made, but at .50 cents how could I turn this one down?) Not only is it made in the U.S.A., but check this out...


I was using Ivory soap for a while, but it wasn't a difficult switch back to Lever 2000 & my Caress body wash is also from the same company. My favorite body wash, carnation scent, from Hove Parfumeur is from New Orleans (even better since it's a mom & pop shop instead of a big corporation, see link for perfume, body wash & massage oils  http://www.hoveparfumeur.com - I love it, you actually have to call in your order or fax it)

Didn't have to switch deodorant or shampoo - yay!  Q-tips are more expensive than the generic brand, but I prefer them and would buy them anyway.  (oh, and the borax is because I'm going to attempt to make my own laundry detergent - am I taking this too far?)

Overall it was a great experience and added confidence that I can make this work!


6 comments:

  1. The thought of changing out some of my toiletries makes me want to cry. I am so brand loyal with certain things. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next trip is for make-up :( Mac & Bare Minerals are Canadian?

      Delete
  3. I think you should give yourself a little more leeway and add products made in Canada & Mexico. Maybe even South & Central America too. My hope is that we as the USA, butt out of everybodies business in those F'd up countries on the other side of the world and keep it closer to home. Lets help Mexico first. Anybody second the motion? Whatever we do to fix Canada and Mexico will be instantly noticeable right here at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually...but for now it's like the airline announcement incase the cabin looses pressure: "secure your own mask before helping others"

      Delete
  4. That's our motto for 1st Medical Responders on-scene as well. But I also heard another one the other day...God gave us two hands, one for helping ourselves and the other for helping others!

    ReplyDelete