Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Everything is New Again

I thought of starting a blog a few months ago based on one a friend of mine started. She decided to go a year buying only used items (see http://poshparsimony.blogspot.com). From that, I decided to buy only products made in the U.S.A. I researched some of my usual items to see how hard it would be; and, although it will be a challenge, I think I can really do this.

This wasn't about being an "Ugly American" with the mindset that it's only good if it's made in the U.S.A., but a belief that this is a way that I could actually help the economy - Hey I buy stuff, maybe that stuff should be from my fellow Americans.

It really doesn't matter if you're Republican, Democratic, Independent or even Libertarian. The thing that connects us all is that we are American. I really believe that you do what you can, with the tools you have.

My goal is to attempt to make all my purchases only from products made in the U.S.A.. From toilet paper to toothpaste (already had to switch from a lifetime of using colgate - made in Mexico, to Crest - made in Greensboro, North Carolina); clothing to computers (luckily I already have one); food to furniture. Read your labels and do what you can.

I invite anyone to come along for the ride, even if it's just to live vicariously through me and my feats... and failures.

Robin

4 comments:

  1. SO looking forward to reading about this. I think I will try to be more conscious about buying US as well. Very cool Robin. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying used will be my option when I can't find something made in America - already having a hard time finding a timer so my lights will go on at a specific time...

      Delete
  2. Can one person make a difference? Probably not...but this will be interesting to watch and ...like a Slinky...not really of much use for anything...it'll still be fun to watch it when you push it down a flight of stairs! What I mean is...I don't think she'll make it to April! Yes, I'm extremely cynical, but consider myself the most positive realist I know! Good luck sis. I'll support the idea of this, and love to buy products that say they are made in the USA...but unless I have the alternative USA product in front of me I won't spend much energy looking around. Bad American, huh! I did boycott and give up Tuna though. Well... store bought and commercially fished Tuna. I still accept what you catch and give me cuz I love seared Ahi and shashimi, but the store bought from a 'can' tuna...noway! Your welcome sea-turtle, dolphin and sharks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One person can't, but who knows who might join the movement; remember, it can be fun for a girl and a boy

      Delete